Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Life's a Festival

Oh it's March already! Gee, I had hoped to post at least once a month, but well, Febuary was too short! So anyway, I'll talk about the most fun thing we did in Febuary....

We love music and camping, so going to a festival is a great combination of these two passions. We've only just started getting back into the festival circuit, as now our youngest is 3, it's getting a bit easier to get out to these things with the kids. We managed to go to a few when they were little babies too, but well, that can be pretty hard.

So now we're really getting back into the swing of things and the kids are loving it! It's such a great cultural education for them to be immersed for several days in music and art amidst an array of interesting people and activities. I believe the kids are starting to think of their life as one big festival - they are now constantly asking "When's the next festival?" and Princess Z asked me the other day "Can we move our house to the festibal?" [Intentional typo - that's how she says festival :)]

So in Febuary we attended Earthfreq Lifestyle and Environment festival, which is primarily a dance music fest, but also includes workshops and interesting markets. It makes it so much easier to go to these events when there is a space for kids activities, and it's becoming more of a festival standard to provide this - YAY! This year was the first time Earthfreq had a Kids Space (the festival was in it's 4th year) and we were helping to facilitate the Space in exchange for our attendance at the festival.

It was so great. I just love it how we create a "temporary tribe" when we're out camping at festivals. We camped with the other families who were running the Kid Space and all of our kids become a gang that just had so much fun all day long! And then at night after we managed to get them all sleeping in tents, we grown-ups took turns to go out and get on the dancefloor.


The space was a lovely bamboo yurt with a recylced billboard vinyl covering which was very weather proof. We really appreciated this because it was rainy for the first half of the festival. The sun came out in the end though, and Sunday was perfect!

Things we had going on the Kids Space were stories, songs, playdough, bubbles, craft, sewing, percussion jams, skipping and games.







It's Superboy and his buddy taking the weather in their stride.


And here's Techgnome with Princess Z on the dancefloor....


There's lots more things coming up to keep us occupied. On the local front there's the Mary River Festival and the Heart of Gold Film Festival - we're helping out with both of those. But the next BIG fest we are planning to catch is The Dreaming in June, which is very special...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! While I love the whole festival idea, the last one we went to set us back a couple of grand! I had thought it would be a spiritual event but it was all about the money!!! We ended up going home feeling depleted and disappointed.

    The Mind/Body/Spirit festival in Sydney went much the same way! Originally it was such a great place to go but last time I absolutely hated it. One of these days I think I will plan my own festival where like minded types can just hang out at no expense! I hate commercialism so much, I know people need to make a living but really some people just go overboard.

    The Dreaming sounds good, will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete